Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Great Physician

We were praying for a little heart miracle and we got one!

We went to Hopkins today with a little fear and a lot of hope that our new little man would not need treatment for the three congenital heart defects found at birth.  Knox was born with a murmur, and two holes in his heart.  Our prayer and the prayer of many others was that the holes would be closed and that Knox would not need more medical intervention.  After an echocardiogram, where Knox proceeded to sleep with both hands behind his head, we were visited by the cardiologist.  Her talk went something like this:

"This little guy is very lucky.  The murmur is not evident, the atrial septal defect is so minor that nothing needs to be done, and here is the interesting thing.  The sizable hole in the septal wall between his ventricles has been closed by an extra piece of tissue from the tricuspid valve.  Work it out however you want, mother nature or God has worked this one out. If anyone deserves an extra hand in life it's this little guy."

As I sat in the chair holding my little bundle of designer genes, I had to wrestle the tears back in their ducts.  I serve a great God who is able to close a big hole in my babies heart with an extra piece of tissue.  Just like that.   Our cardiologist is cautious, which I appreciate, and wants to check in in 3 months.  She doesn't anticipate finding anything has changed.  Shame on me for not believing that my God is able!

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!! What incredible news!!! Sooooo happy for you all! God is so good. I am sitting here fighting back tears, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is amazing! Glory be to our great God.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi first of congrats on your new bundle and the miracle of his heart. My daughter was born with perfect heart and that too is a miracle for designer babies. Anyways I live in Baltimore and I saw you went to Hopkins so if you live in the area and need help with the ropes let me know. Who the best doctors are, who is Down syndrome friendly and is up to date on the best treatment , best therapy in the area etc etc etc, I'm here

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a miracle. We experienced it ourselves with my daughter Kate (T21). The Cardiologist could not believe it. It was like a bridge of tissue grew from one side to the other to cover and close the hole. I knew God answered our prayers for sure. God is an awesome God!
    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rejoicing with you and your family. How great is our God?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how wonderful, Wendy! I am praising the Lord with you for His mercy!!!

    ReplyDelete