Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jesus and Chocolate

We are trying to be more intentional this year as we celebrate Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, the lights on my rotating fiberoptic Christmas tree do make me feel like I'm 7, but this year I have an audience.  The littlest audience.  What do I want him to see?  I want him to see Jesus. 

 This year we've been doing Advent with Jesse Tree ornaments this year.  Each day, starting on Nov 30, we have added an ornament to our already bedecked tree.  Each ornament has a symbol that relates to a biblical story that points forward to the best gift of all, Christ.  We read a story around the tree and then Grae adds the ornament.   We've been having a great time filling a little Christmas tin with an ornament and a special treat.  Last night we put popcorn in so that we could pop it and watch a fun Christmas movie.  Other nights have found marshmallows, gold coin chocolates, "stickahs", and other things that only an almost 2 year-0ld can appreciate.  When we asked him what Jesse Tree is about Grae quickly chirped, "cahcolit".  We laughed.  We asked him who he learned about during our fun times at the tree and he smiled and said, "Jedus". 

I love Santa and reindeer, the smell of pine needles, tacky lawn ornaments, Christmas specials, hot chocolate, and chocolate chip cookies.  Most of all, I want Grae to know the sweetest thing about Christmas is "Jedus".

No comments:

Post a Comment