Monday, October 11, 2010

The Button Jar

Those of you that know me well, know I have a strange obsession with buttons.  When asked what I would like to jump into a swimming pool filled with, other people listed food items, but I promptly replied buttons.  My mom had a little Fleishman's yeast bottle filled with buttons and as a child, I loved the sound that the lid made when I opened the jar.  I would pour out the buttons and sort through them.  I still find buttons fascinating.  I would make a terrible Amish person. 

A friend once gave me a plaque that I hang in the loo.  It reads, "Good friends are like buttons, you collect them one at a time."  In the past few weeks,  the lives of several of my friends have gone through difficult and even tragic turns.  One dear friend in the Lord lost her husband tragically, several friends are looking for jobs to no avail, a friend from our college group is deployed and lonely, several friends are pregnant, and my husband and I have started a journey in ministry.  I struggle with following through with praying for these things.  I get lost in the Martha of the day and forget to be a Mary; sitting at the feet of Jesus lifting up supplication for these dear people. 

What does this have to do with buttons, you may ask?  I decided to use my obsession as a reminder to pray.  I selected a button for each of these people as they came to mind and wrote their name on each.  I dropped them into a jar that sits on a window above my sink.  I can put my hand in the jar, grab a handful of buttons, and pray for those dear ones.  Do you want to be a part of my button jar?  I'd love to add you to my amazing collection.  Message me and I'll send you my address so that you can send me your button along with a list of prayer requests. 

1 comment:

  1. We just started collecting buttons in a jar this week after reading a collection of stories about a grandmothers button jar. I hope one day my girls will have great memories of the buttons just as you do - they seem just as fascinated with them as you are. What a wonderful way to pray for your loved ones. Thank you for following the Lord's prompting for ministry - you guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete