Friday, January 29, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Me Edition

Here I stand, looking in the mirror.

It's a painful daily ritual.  I think I expect to look radically different when I wake up.  All that I notice is that 34 doesn't look much like 20 did.  It's the end of January and most of my good intentions for life changing weight loss have not been realized.  It's funny to me how much of my life has been spent lacking contentedness with my appearance.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm under no false impression that an extra 50 lbs of "fluff" is actually healthy.  I know things need to change. 

As I sat down with my friend Charles Spurgeon and the Bible for our not-so-regular coffee date, I was reminded once again of God's perspective on my morning. 
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18   So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self  is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.  For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

What a timely reminder.  I spend lots of time obsessing about the outside and not doing much and I have friends that spend hours at the gym, but I was reminded that we are both in error if we forget to invest time in the eternal things.  I am going to make an effort to change the outside so that I can be healthy, but I cannot forget that I have another more important relationship to nurture.   I was also comforted to be reminded that the Holy Spirit is doing His own Extreme Home Makeover on me daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment