Friday, January 8, 2010

Uncle Ray - A Tribute

[gallery link="file"]

I always imagined Santa looked like Uncle Ray.  When I was little, my uncle had a soft white beard and the jolly look of the man in red.  I have such fond memories of sitting with Uncle Ray and laughing on my grandmother's couch.  Uncle Ray was a character.  He had lost a few fingers and an eye in a blasting cap incident as a child.  This made the disappearing finger trick a real puzzler for a 5 year old!  I just remember his presence as one of joy.  When visiting my Aunt Violet and Uncle Ray at their home in Pennsylvania (I thought this was where vampires lived and so I was terrified to sleep) I have memories of playing with his giant husky named Yukon and jumping in the biggest pile of leaves.

As I grew older, visits with Uncle Ray were characterized by talks of theology and the Christian faith.  What a blessing to have an older relative who was willing to move past the small talk to the things of real importance!  If you know me at all, you know that I loved these talks.  I remember Shane commenting that he thought Uncle Ray was a great man upon their first meeting.

As Uncle Ray and Aunt Vi grew older, health problems caused a move to live closer to their only daughter and one of my favorite aunts, Nancy.  Aunt Vi was diagnosed with Alzheimers and I saw a picture of a devoted husband as I heard of his care for her throughout that awful disease.

I am sad that we didn't get to visit with Uncle Ray in his last years.  Earth lost one of its great men on New Year's Eve, but Heaven gained a valuable citizen.  It's a comfort to know that I'll see him again one day!

II Timothy 4: 7 

 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy
    What a beautiful tribute to my Dad. While he had a preacher for a brother and a preacher for a brother-in-law he also was a preacher/teacher his whole life. I don't know why I was surprised while cleaning out his office to see Bible verses and notes on living the Christian life taped up everywhere; there were morning prayers and evening prayers. He read four devotionals in the morning and three in the evening - I dont know how he had time to do everything he did. I also found your beautiful cards to him and I know he cherished them and also your notes about lessons from your Grandmother/my Aunt. We sure had some great teachers didn't we. I thank God everyday for sharing them with us.
    Love you,
    nn

    ReplyDelete