Friday, March 12, 2010

Creamy Tomato Soup



I was browsing one of my favorite new sites, A Virtuous Woman, when I came across this delicious recipe.  I had a can of crushed tomatoes that I needed to use.  I made a few adaptations, but I didn't alter much.  Here it is:




5 TBS butter

1/2 cup chopped onion

4 TBS flour

4 cups milk

1/2 bay leaf

1 1/2 tsp sugar (I omitted)

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda (adding baking soda keeps the milk from curdling)


3 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used a large can of crushed tomatoes, but next time I will also add diced tomatoes)

1 tsp of Garlic salt

1/4 cup parmesan cheese




Melt butter in a soup pot.  Add the onion and cook over med. heat until onion is soft, not brown.  Sprinkle flour over butter mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Slowly add the milk, bay leaf, sugar, and salt and continue to cook until slightly thickened.  Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes.  Add the tomatoes to the milk and bring to a simmer.  Taste and correct seasonings.

Slurp down on a nice rainy cold spring day! This soup is delicious with open faced grilled cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment