Friday, February 5, 2010

Operation Lovin' Oven

So in the spirit of this month, I'm trying to tackle the most arduous household tasks with a little lovin'.  With the pending snowstorm here and inevitable boredom, why not do something productive?

My range and oven have been invaluable tools in my domestic diva arsenal.  Unfortunately, they often get overlooked in the week-to-week cleaning attack.  I decided to tackle the microwave, oven, and range today.  It is so gross to lift burner plates and find piles of charred food remains.  Yuck.  For this mission I use one of my most trusty cleaning weapons . . . white vinegar. 

 I used to revel in the cleaning aisle at Wal-Mart, trying to find the perfect cleaner for _______________.  What I ended up with was a bucket of chemicals that I rarely used.  My friend Christie told me about the awesome power of vinegar.  Who knew that the stuff of salad dressing could be my best ally in the assault against most household creepiness and its cheap, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.  Sounds good, right?

Here is a simple recipe for an all-purpose household cleaner. 

1 part white vinegar

1 part water

Mix in spray bottle and apply.  (There is a vinegar smell, but it dissipates quickly)

Here's a cool link with some other homemade solutions:  http://frugalliving.about.com/od/householdsavings/qt/Homemade_Clean.htm

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the cleaning recipe! I'm going to try it on the nasty tile in the shower - serious soap scum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. I'm sure we have some new species of mold in there now. At least its pink for Valentine's Day! Let me know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grae is amazing. I see he's lovin that snow and so are you. Enjoy the weekend.
    Love ya
    nn

    ReplyDelete